Anyone good with building a PC?

HDModzz

Former Moderator
Hiya. I'm looking into custom building a PC capable of handling "modern graphics" with high-ultra graphics. I'm wondering though, how well do you think this build can handle current & upcoming games? Ie, GTA IV/V, Battlefield 3, Arma III?
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/Ilek

MrFlibs

Hiya. I'm looking into custom building a PC capable of handling "modern graphics" with high-ultra graphics. I'm wondering though, how well do you think this build can handle current & upcoming games? Ie, GTA IV/V, Battlefield 3, Arma III?
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/Ilek
Well the Samsung 830 Solid state seems to be a great drive (i have one as my system drive), it's the fastest/most reliable drive you will get without paying loads for an intel SSD. Stay clear of the Samsung 840 drives as they are slower and more expensive. A lot of the very fast SSD's e.g. "Corsair" aren't reliable because the i/o controllers can't cope with the data transfer rates.
The Nvidia card should be fine, mines an old 450 and I've not found anything it can't run yet.
I'd personally avoid the i-series cpu's and buy Xeon/Server cpu's instead, the i-series are good but won't be as reliable/fast or last anywhere near as long. Xeon cpu's generally have more cache rather than Mhz which makes them faster in a lot of cases, they also use much lower voltage so you don't need huge fans/cooling equipment or a powerful power supply that eats into your electric bill. With server boards you would also have 2x CPU's making 8 Cores and double the cache ;)
Kingston RAM is very good but Samsung is generally the most reliable/fastest, depends on your budget.
Biostar motherboards I've never used so i can't really give an opinion on them, in my experience Intel have always made the best motherboards with Asus trailing just behind them. Just don't go cheap on your motherboard because that's the most important part.

HDModzz

Former Moderator
MrFlibs said:
Well the Samsung 830 Solid state seems to be a great drive (i have one as my system drive), it's the fastest/most reliable drive you will get without paying loads for an intel SSD. Stay clear of the Samsung 840 drives as they are slower and more expensive. A lot of the very fast SSD's e.g. "Corsair" aren't reliable because the i/o controllers can't cope with the data transfer rates.
The Nvidia card should be fine, mines an old 450 and I've not found anything it can't run yet.
I'd personally avoid the i-series cpu's and buy Xeon/Server cpu's instead, the i-series are good but won't be as reliable/fast or last anywhere near as long. Xeon cpu's generally have more cache rather than Mhz which makes them faster in a lot of cases, they also use much lower voltage so you don't need huge fans/cooling equipment or a powerful power supply that eats into your electric bill. With server boards you would also have 2x CPU's making 8 Cores and double the cache ;)
Kingston RAM is very good but Samsung is generally the most reliable/fastest, depends on your budget.
Biostar motherboards I've never used so i can't really give an opinion on them, in my experience Intel have always made the best motherboards with Asus trailing just behind them. Just don't go cheap on your motherboard because that's the most important part.
Just what I needed.. thank you very much, I'll be looking into that a bit and post an updated version eventually. Thanks again!

srgtmacfly

Not bad, but I would not go with the older sandy bridge i73820, as that specific CPU is not unlocked unless you mod it. The i5-3570k is superior when it comes to gaming, and it is socket 1155 compared to the 3820 that is socket 2011. It is probly better to get the 1155 since upcoming releases of new CPU will consist of 1155 socket so you will be covered in upgrading. The 3820 also has PCIe 2.0, which is a generation behind the new 3.0, which doubles the PCIe lane speed from 16gbps to 32gbps (if you are using a PCIe 16x lane). This is not necessary as you will see no performance boost at all between 2.0 and 3.0, but in the future you may benefit from it. This leads me into the motherboard. The motherboard is really expensive for the actual performance you get from it (not to mention the brand, from what I hear isnt very good). That motherboard is quad channel ram support, but you have triple channel selected (not sure if this is a problem, but I would just stay with dual channel mobo's and ram as they are the most common). you will most likely never use 12gb of ram just gaming, 8 is enough. the ram is 1066mhz which is kinda slow for ram, you can easely get 2133mhz (2x your speed) for 30$, with the con of only 8 gigs. That SSD is very good, and 256gb for that price is amazing. I dont think you would need that much, but if you do that is ok. The Samsung 840 Pro or the Intel Cherryville 520 are currently the fastest SSDs on the market. As for the harddrive I have never used a toshiba, so I dont know, but the WD caviar black is one of the fastest mechanical harddrives out there, behind the velocirapters. As far as sound cards go I dont think they are necessary, most motherboards have integrated sound cards, which asus, asrock and evga all have very nice ones. The graphics card is nice, although if you plan to grab another in the future, it will fall far behind some others. I would tell you to get a 7870 (I am a geforce person) but the 660 TI version will benefit so much from SLI if you do go that way in the future (which I would recommend). 2 660ti's beat the new GTX titan (currently best card on the market) when it comes down to framerate in BF3 and simalur games. I cant really talk much about the case, as it is opinion, but as for the 400watt PSU I dont know how good that is, as it seems it would no have enough watts for future upgrades (if planning) or overclocking. The most trusted brands that I see are SeaSonic, EVGA, Corsain, XFX and enermax. I would go with Seasonic if you could, as the most important part in a computer is the safety of the power supply. the cooler is great (I have never had one myself) but it is one of the most known and amazing performance for the price. If you want to go to water cooling such as H100i or KrakenX60 (I have this it is amazing), it would be a large upgrade. I know this is long and you dont have to go with any of this, but this is just from my opinion and what I would do for that price point. I put togather a build if you would like to look at it, its a tad cheaper but you should see huge increases in performance.

Keep in mind this is micro-atx (Although I would prefer to go to miniITX, many people dislike this for gaming)
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/JIU2
The power supply listed here is just amazing, not only is it 100% moduler and looks amazing, it is 80+ Platinum!!

srgtmacfly

it is all good man, I am glad to help out wherever I can. but if you do buy it, be sure to buy the motherboard+CPU combo, it only saves you 13$ but you cant complain lol
btw it is a good idea to look at some reviews of the case to make sure you like it, I only like black cases with red/white fans (I have a NZXT tempest 410 elite window edition). -
Here is my build if you would like to veiw it, it is 4 years old but still running every game maxed out with 70fps (mainly talking about bf3) - http://pcpartpicker.com/b/Aos only down side is (1 its in a closet, my room is extremely small) and it gets VERY hot, its winter here and my room gets above 80f

Crushed_Can

The Corn Husker
Not bad, but I would not go with the older sandy bridge i73820, as that specific CPU is not unlocked unless you mod it. The i5-3570k is superior when it comes to gaming, and it is socket 1155 compared to the 3820 that is socket 2011. It is probly better to get the 1155 since upcoming releases of new CPU will consist of 1155 socket so you will be covered in upgrading. The 3820 also has PCIe 2.0, which is a generation behind the new 3.0, which doubles the PCIe lane speed from 16gbps to 32gbps (if you are using a PCIe 16x lane). This is not necessary as you will see no performance boost at all between 2.0 and 3.0, but in the future you may benefit from it. This leads me into the motherboard. The motherboard is really expensive for the actual performance you get from it (not to mention the brand, from what I hear isnt very good). That motherboard is quad channel ram support, but you have triple channel selected (not sure if this is a problem, but I would just stay with dual channel mobo's and ram as they are the most common). you will most likely never use 12gb of ram just gaming, 8 is enough. the ram is 1066mhz which is kinda slow for ram, you can easely get 2133mhz (2x your speed) for 30$, with the con of only 8 gigs. That SSD is very good, and 256gb for that price is amazing. I dont think you would need that much, but if you do that is ok. The Samsung 840 Pro or the Intel Cherryville 520 are currently the fastest SSDs on the market. As for the harddrive I have never used a toshiba, so I dont know, but the WD caviar black is one of the fastest mechanical harddrives out there, behind the velocirapters. As far as sound cards go I dont think they are necessary, most motherboards have integrated sound cards, which asus, asrock and evga all have very nice ones. The graphics card is nice, although if you plan to grab another in the future, it will fall far behind some others. I would tell you to get a 7870 (I am a geforce person) but the 660 TI version will benefit so much from SLI if you do go that way in the future (which I would recommend). 2 660ti's beat the new GTX titan (currently best card on the market) when it comes down to framerate in BF3 and simalur games. I cant really talk much about the case, as it is opinion, but as for the 400watt PSU I dont know how good that is, as it seems it would no have enough watts for future upgrades (if planning) or overclocking. The most trusted brands that I see are SeaSonic, EVGA, Corsain, XFX and enermax. I would go with Seasonic if you could, as the most important part in a computer is the safety of the power supply. the cooler is great (I have never had one myself) but it is one of the most known and amazing performance for the price. If you want to go to water cooling such as H100i or KrakenX60 (I have this it is amazing), it would be a large upgrade. I know this is long and you dont have to go with any of this, but this is just from my opinion and what I would do for that price point. I put togather a build if you would like to look at it, its a tad cheaper but you should see huge increases in performance.

Keep in mind this is micro-atx (Although I would prefer to go to miniITX, many people dislike this for gaming)
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/JIU2
The power supply listed here is just amazing, not only is it 100% moduler and looks amazing, it is 80+ Platinum!!
I...I have no idea what you just said, but it sounded smart as fuck...