1. Well it's about time eh? Indeed! We now have a live 1.12.2 server. Currently operating as an unofficial map but if all goes well it will become our new improved world! Join today without whitelist at darkcraft.mcserver.ws:26455
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Want to join our Discord server? Connect using https:/discord.gg/TKkXBBb
    Dismiss Notice

Donations Needed

Discussion in 'DarkCraft News' started by Darq, Mar 30, 2015.

1. Darq

Darq Administrator

Unfortunately, donations since February have been quite low, as you'll see if you view the attached screenshot. With the expenses of renewing the forum license ($40/year), purchasing a new look for the site (required for forum update, $25), the monthly subscription for Buycraft (£4.99/month), and paying the server bill ($95 CAD/month), the server is beginning to cost me money to keep running, which I cannot afford to for very long. We are making efforts to reconfigure the server to run cheaper (via less powerful hardware, as what we have is over-powered for our current needs), gain more regular players, and implement new donation enticements. Our main focus right now is updating our custom not-UUID-compatible plugins so we can complete the update to 1.8. We won't get to where we want to be overnight, but I seriously want to use 2015 as the year to bring new life to DarkCraft. In the meantime, any donations that can be offered are extremely appreciated. Thank you very much to everyone who has supported DarkCraft by playing on the server, posting on the forums, and donating.

Attached Files:

2. Niskiller

Niskiller Moderator

Minecraft:
    Niskiller
    Is it only possible to donate through paypal? Or is there another possibility like global collect or so?

3. Darq

Darq Administrator

Paypal is currently the only option. Buycraft allows these other gateways: Coinbase, OneBip, Stripe, Google Wallet, Cash U, Payza, Paygol, Paymentwall, 2Checkout, Skrill, and Epay. Most of which I know very little about and need to research into. If there's one in that list catches anyone's attention I can look into adding it.

4. Amentjacob1

Amentjacob1 Member

Minecraft:
    amentjacob1
    Although I know I will probably come back at some point as I have several times since I joined almost 4 years ago, it's starting to feel like the server just isn't getting the people that it used to, or even managing to have more than 5 people on at a time. The Unleashed server was the only thing that has kept me interested, and by now I have achieved anything I could have hoped to achieve with the current mods that are on there. There has also been no one on that server for at least 2 weeks now (at least when I look), so why would I play on a server by myself? With me starting college next year and the amount of money I am going to have to spend on that, I don't feel comfortable putting money towards what might be considered a sinking ship figuratively speaking. I realize that this isn't going to help the situation in any way, I just feel the need to share my opinion on this matter. I plan on still looking at the forums occasionally, and really do hope the server survives and makes a comeback, but I'm afraid I won't be able to help. I wish you guys the best of luck. ~Ament

Telthios likes this.
  5. Darq

Darq Administrator

Completely valid opinion Ament. I'm think there's many others who share it. I myself have been struggling with the same kinds of feelings. My current feeling is that the community simply isn't what it was at its peak, and it may never get even half as popular again. I feel the biggest reason for that is a lack of administrative activity, going back to even before I went AWOL. I'm not discrediting Penguinchao here, he helped tremendously and kept things going on his own while I was absent. We wouldn't be on here at ALL if it wasn't for him. <3 @Penguinchao, and his Dad, and the mods. A lot of effort from other people went in to keeping DarkCraft alive.

I still consider running DarkCraft to be a hobby and a passion that I don't want to see disappear any time soon. It's something that I enjoy dumping my free time into. I'm willing to reconfigure things in order to make it less expensive to run, to a point where it would be less of a big deal if I myself needed to pitch in to pay for it. I'm also looking for any suggestions for small things I can do to improve the experience people have on the site/server.

6. astijus98

astijus98 Member

Minecraft:
    astijus98
    Darq if you're looking to save money, in the long term, if you guys have a really good internet connection, is to build your own server.

7. Darq

Darq Administrator

I actually have a good server available and am looking into having it hosted at my place of work (has a direct fiber connection), but due to general politicsl at work, I'm not sure when that might be able to happen. I also have the option of sending it to a datacenter but dedicated server rates have come down enough that collocation would cost about the same as renting a server.

Ihavemine88 likes this.
  8. Niskiller

Niskiller Moderator

Minecraft:
    Niskiller
    I do not mind spending money on something I enjoy and DarkCraft fits in that discription.

So me shall make a paypal account and start figuring out how that works ;)

EDIT: But for some reason it does not allowed me to create an account :(

Last edited: Mar 31, 2015
  9. Paleouss

Paleouss Member

Minecraft:
    Paleouss
    Donation made. Will consider more when we go to 1.8

Nice place to play minecraft.

rakker614, CyberBagelZ, boldr and 4 others like this.
  10. Sup_brah

Sup_brah ☜(゚ヮ゚☜)

Minecraft:
    Sup_brah
    If you want, you can send me the money and I'll pay it for you :D

11. Demeris

Demeris Lord of the Pants

Minecraft:
    Demeris
    <3

CyberBagelZ likes this.
  12. eBrickLayer

eBrickLayer Member

Minecraft:
    eBrickLayer
    You should try to get more people to play again like at least 20 at a time then you would be set easily because people would like to play the map

13. HellsWarlord77

HellsWarlord77 Moderator

Minecraft:
    HellsWarlord77
    Ill help contribute, maybe only a little at a time.. $10 a week work? Once i start earning more it could go to $15 a week...

EDIT screw it 15 a week.. Its a golden server that would suck to see it go..

Last edited: Apr 2, 2015
  14. Darq

Darq Administrator

Thank you everyone!! With the donations made we don't have to worry about being able to pay the bills for a few months. :) I plan on putting a donation goal bar back onto the website to display the monthly donation goal, which will be less than $100/month, close to what you'd pay for fully featured cell phone plan per month.

The site + all 3 of our servers have moved to a new box in the same datacenter as our older server. It costs slightly more than half of what the old box did at $49/month (with an activation fee of $15 added over 6 months). Performance should not take an impact, the new server is equipped with 32GB ram and a 3.2GHz Intel Xeon 1225 v2, as well as 2x2TB HDDs configured in redundant RAID 1 (one drive is mirrored onto the other to prevent data loss). Your latency to the server should not change as it's still hosted in Quebec, Canada.

Sup_brah, CyberBagelZ, boldr and 2 others like this.
  15. Niskiller

Niskiller Moderator

Minecraft:
    Niskiller
    Donated as promised!

Darq likes this.
  16. Demeris

Demeris Lord of the Pants

Minecraft:
    Demeris
  17. Noerdax

Noerdax Member