1. Well it's about time eh? Indeed! We now have a live 1.12.2 server. Currently operating as an unofficial map but if all goes well it will become our new improved world! Join today without whitelist at darkcraft.mcserver.ws:26455
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Want to join our Discord server? Connect using https:/discord.gg/TKkXBBb
    Dismiss Notice

Quick announcement (not exactly good news)

Discussion in 'DarkCraft News' started by Darq, Jul 13, 2016.

1. Paleouss

Paleouss Member

Minecraft:
    Paleouss
    Yes, advertising is essential to any business and if DarkCraft doesn't have proper advertising...it won't survive any revival. In regard to minecraft dying out...that...only time will tell. I actually know many young kids (9-12) getting into minecraft xbox. Would they transition to the pc when they get older...I don't know. Pokemon came, died, and was reborn recently. Clash of Clans was born, slowed, and re-branded with Clash Royale. Demaris suggests keeping an eye on Rising Worlds...which appears to be a re-branding and innovative idea that was born from minecraft.

I'm not here to be the champion of minecraft. Only to say...yes, Darkcraft is on life support... and yes, great new ideas are the backbone of gaming. And if someone has one...I'll listen.

That is more than fair, I think...for all of us.

2. Penguinchao

Penguinchao Executive Administrator

Minecraft:
    Penguinchao
    I'm just going to spew a bunch of thoughts out; feel free to pick them apart :p

Quick thought before the long ones: If/When we rebrand, we could always just rename the server "Forgotten Worlds;" it's a name we've had on the technic server, and I feel it'd be a new brand, but at the same time would be a throwback to our current server. :)

Well the idea I've been toying with has been to combine technic/skyblock/mmo to have a server that gives people a sky plot, then lets them complete quests, win competitions, etc. I'm not convince that the idea would translate well to DC, for reasons of manpower and just a completely different format, so instead, I think that we could implement a few different concepts in to a survivalish server. My thinking is that we could have items on the following list (some will sound like repeats of old ideas, but if the entire list is done, I think it would make for an enjoyable server).
    • A Technic Survival server (map would probably have to be reset, because we have 1.8 blocks, and technic is 1.7.10), BUT I could quickly/easily make a plugin to let you bank items now, then withdraw them on the new server if they are 1.7.10 compatible ;) I'm also completely open to moving a house or some epic builds for our still-active players (I doubt everyone wants to start from scratch, and adding technic blocks will still give people new things to do). I like the current system we have of never resetting, but just expanding as needed, so the post-format-change reset could be our actual last reset
    • A PVP world. This world could function in a variety of ways (one spawn, dropped into a random location, region claiming, or something else entirely). My biggest idea on this would be that I think it would be neat to allow players to have a single inventory for both maps, so someone who grinds on PVE can use that armor/sword loot in PVP, and your spoils of PVP can be used to create epic builds.
    • Minigames/Arena. This idea was tried, and I think we had a great start, so with a little refining, I feel that it could actually be pretty good and accomplished pretty smoothly.
    • Build Competitions. We have been talking about this for a while, but never really did anything with it. If we set aside a vacant area every 2-4 weeks, built some basic plots, then had themed builds with rewards, it would common enough, but still give time for those who can't log on every day.
    • Abolish DarkPoints. At the time of their creation, darkpoints were a great way to let previous premium donors keep their perks while being EULA compliant, but now, some changes that would have been good weren't done because we relied on that mechanic. If we went the route of the item bank like I put above, then everyone could spend their darkpoints before the change, bank their items, then we can safely remove the plugin.
    • Technical Changes. We're reliant on a lot of old software; DarkPoints being the biggest. When there are no changes, it runs smoothly, but some of the plugins have been abandoned by their creators and newer versions have been created; this basically forces us to duct tape plugins together in a way that is less-than-perfect, so I would want to rebuild some systems in the backend to make bug fixes much quicker and smoother :)
    • Revenue. Servers can only be supported by aesthetic perks now, but some forge mods (specifically the Aether, which is my absolute favorite mod) has a built-in mechanic for aesthetic pets.
    If those ideas are appealing, I could have them done pretty fast (I'm in vacation right now, so I should have time to front-load all the heavy-lifting. Using the above system, we would still have the aspects of DC that make us US (simplicity and freedom), but Forge, the option to go PVP, and minigames would actually give players something to do beside build by yourself. :)

I do have a lot of thoughts about this that I hope you can help with :) I've tried the pack on solo, but it massacred by FPS on my Macbook :eek: I think that maybe it was just my computer trying to run a modded server with generation mods that slowed it though, because playing on the actual server is smooth :D Speaking of the pack....I love all of the mods on it~ but I have a proposition to be added to it. Pretty much all of the Minecraft that I've been playing has just been Aether II on solo; it adds a lot of different blocks and a new dimension that I feel would blend in with our server type (it is also completely compatible with our current mod pack; I have tested). Does anyone have any opposition to it being added?

I could go on for hours, but I will stop here to prevent this post from getting too long :p

Darq and vbane like this.
  3. NAYF1N

NAYF1N Member

Minecraft:
    NAYF1N
    What about a Game of Thrones inspired adventure map, eh?

Penguinchao likes this.
  4. Demeris

Demeris Lord of the Pants

Minecraft:
    Demeris
    Not fair. Joffery would declare himself winner of everything.

[​IMG]

NAYF1N and Penguinchao like this.
  5. AnimeAnnemarie

AnimeAnnemarie Head Moderator

Minecraft:
    AnimeAnnemarie
    I personally really like the idea of minigames and build competitions. I'm a simple-minded person when it comes to games, and modpacks or RPG elements seem too complicated to have to start getting into for me (but that's just personal preference, not at all implying it shouldn't be added - especially if it gets us new players). If the current world goes up for download (and the livemap stays available for build-finding convenience lol) I would not mind an all-new umbrella system, like where multiple servers fall under one brand. If enough people are willing, we can make it work!

Penguinchao likes this.
  6. Penguinchao

Minecraft:
    Penguinchao
    Update
    So as it stands now, the test server has:
    • Modpack set up
    • Main Survival World
    • Nether and Aether dimensions that have only one, main portal (like we have now)
    • Last Millenium, Dungeons, Outer Lands, The End, etc which are self-regulating, so you just need to get there legit ;)
    • A chestless shop plugin that works with Forge blocks that ties in with our economy plugin.
    • A set up "Splash World" with an extra portal set aside for the Minigames world
    • Dynmap
    Some builds will be familiar, and others are brand-new :)

Last edited: Aug 11, 2016
  7. Swatacular

Swatacular Redstone Genius

Minecraft:
    Swatacular
    It looks we are going for the Reboot idea then.. well If its a modded server, Ill get into it (and bring a few friends along) as soon as its ready.. until then, I offer my services.

It looks like you've already made some progress setting up the server and etc. if there is anything I can help with, I am a Mediocre Programmer and am willing to figure out how new plugins/config files work and if you would like to assign me any work I would be happy to give you whatever you need from me.

Also, how do I join this server? when will it be ready to go play? now? I wasn't sure from your post.

8. Demeris

Demeris Lord of the Pants

Minecraft:
    Demeris
    Didn't you have a computer that had trouble with modpacks?

9. Swatacular

Minecraft:
    Swatacular
    lol, how many years ago was that?

I have upgraded since, and if my current Laptop doesn't work, I have a Desktop that can handle like.. 95% of games at ultimate settings. (no SSD tho :cry:)

10. joonxk

joonxk Member

Minecraft:
    joonxk
    Go to Best Buy and buy a 250GB SSD XD. I forget how much I paid for mine, but I had a secondary bay on my laptop and decided to add a cheapish SSD for certain games. I don't use it as my boot (my standard HD is good enough for booting tbh. Having a secondary SSD is just convenient for storage, and certain games that I want to boot faster...though it is a pain in the ass when it comes to anti-malware/virus scans....

11. Niskiller

Niskiller Moderator

Minecraft:
    Niskiller
    Oh boy oh boy oh boy, where to start.

Darkracft, or monstercraft rather cuz it had a different name 5 yeas ago, was my first and only minecraft experience. I've never played solo, only multiplayer and I enjoy it way more then I ever could when playing solo.

I'm willing to help with anything if there is a need for an extra pair of hands/eyes/ears/feet.

I've been gone for to long so appologize for letting people down, but I had a busy year...

Mister pengu, if you need help with testing I am available next week, I am currently in Italy right now enjoying the sun.

I do not have the time to read every post just yet, I will when I return home. But are we are switching to a modded server and no more survival?

HDModzz and Penguinchao like this.
  12. Penguinchao

Minecraft:
    Penguinchao
    It is now at the point where some testing can be done :) we have a private message going for development; I shall add you~

13. Swatacular

Minecraft:
    Swatacular
    Let me know if you want another tester.
    Or anything for that matter.

Penguinchao likes this.
  14. Camk48

Camk48 Member

Minecraft:
    Camk48
    I'm a fan of testing :)
    and hello everyone
    @Swatacular "Redstone genius" heheh

15. Swatacular

Minecraft:
    Swatacular
    I have had that title for a long time now, I think only 2 people have ever noticed.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2016
  16. joonxk

joonxk Member

Minecraft:
    joonxk
    I noticed it way back when...I think I noticed it around the time this server just started being called Darkcraft, and you made.....something. It was either an elevator or a massive like 12x12 door or something....

17. Niskiller

Niskiller Moderator

Minecraft:
    Niskiller
    It was that huge asss elevator he build. Damn that thing was massive XD

But I think quite a lot of people noticed that, just nobody says anything about it XD.

18. Swatacular

Minecraft:
    Swatacular
    Lol I never built a huge door or an elevator..

I did build secret doors and 3x3 doors and a lot of password protected doors, but mainly I just like building redstone stuff.

19. Niskiller

Niskiller Moderator

Minecraft:
    Niskiller
    Well we all fcked up XD

20. EaterOfWorlds

EaterOfWorlds Member

Looking forward to future decisions..