Unleashed Suggestions

Hi all

I felt as this modpack has just been opened I'd start this thread for mods that other people feel would improve the modpack. I have had a look at the modlist and i feel it's going to be a excellent pack with only the suggestion that we get the openblocks mod (http://www.minecraftforum.net/forums/mapping-and-modding/minecraft-mods/1291207-openblocks-1-2-8) this is only for the gravestones as it would prevent the loss of valuable items in the untimely event of player deaths.

Feel free to place your suggestions but please keep them within reason and by that I mean no mods that are made for pvp servers.

Cheers

jlayton31548

Former Moderator
I 3rd the open blocks mod... though I have suggested it before. the elevator blocks are cool.. less redstone knowledge needed to make a nice build... The tanks are pretty cool too.. they keep their liquids when broken which makes it nice when you decide you don't like where you put your tank originally..

Penguinchao

Executive Administrator
For my 2 cents, I would like to throw out the Aether as a suggestion :)

In the past, the Aether mod has not exactly been the best plugin for a multiplayer server for many reasons, the main ones being:
  • Bugs
  • Limited amounts of dungeons
I can't speak for the Aether I, because it is where most of these bugs were present, and I have never played with Aether I, but I can speak for the Aether II. I haven't really run in to any bugs with Aether II on solo or a test multiplayer server. The inventory screen tweaks and items in mods like galacticraft seem to all work well together, and the aether dimension seems polished now. The dungeons in Aether I used to be actual structures that you would explore, but now they're pocket dimensions that are visited through totems (either solo or with a party) and they're reset and regenerated every so often, so they don't bog down the server with 5000 copies of the Slider's Labyrinth.

Long Story short: the guys who make Aether seemed to have made Aether II viable for multiplayer modpacks, and I recommend considering it for DC Unleashed. :)

Demeris

Lord of the Pants
bump....

I've got plans on adding some new dimensions, and removing some. I feel the pack has been drifting from its original intent of being about having alot of choices for blocks and items to increase creativity. Also the heavy tech I don't think is in keeping with the images that the name Darkcraft inspires.

Because of its buggy nature and all around lag, Galacticraft is likely to go. EE3 no one really uses and is pretty WIP not to mention I don't think anyone really bothers with it so its on the chopping block. Few other mods too.

Darkcraft to me seems to inspire a vibe more like the End or the Nether does. Kind of adventure like with a more sinister design. I'm looking at Twilight Forest, and since Openblocks seems to only be good for two things(the gravestones and tanks), I'm thinking of replacing it with the Gravestones mod. It does same job as OpenBlocks gravestones as well as adds them for NPC creatures as well, and generates full on graveyards and even a Catacombs dungeon type. Pretty neat IMO.

(EDIT: Forgot openblocks adds in the elevators too. Perhaps find something that does same job but with less things no one uses)

Aether I'll have to poke at, but I'm still not sure about the idea of something that makes a ton of dimensions on its own. Kind of like Dimensional Doors would be neat, but hellish on resources after only a few doors are opened.

We added Blood Magic a while back. I kind of liked that, and think another magic mod or two might be cool to even out the Tech/Magic blend and shift things more to the Darkcraft feel.

Last edited:
bump....

I've got plans on adding some new dimensions, and removing some. I feel the pack has been drifting from its original intent of being about having alot of choices for blocks and items to increase creativity. Also the heavy tech I don't think is in keeping with the images that the name Darkcraft inspires.

Because of its buggy nature and all around lag, Galacticraft is likely to go. EE3 no one really uses and is pretty WIP not to mention I don't think anyone really bothers with it so its on the chopping block. Few other mods too.

Darkcraft to me seems to inspire a vibe more like the End or the Nether does. Kind of adventure like with a more sinister design. I'm looking at Twilight Forest, and since Openblocks seems to only be good for two things(the gravestones and tanks), I'm thinking of replacing it with the Gravestones mod. It does same job as OpenBlocks gravestones as well as adds them for NPC creatures as well, and generates full on graveyards and even a Catacombs dungeon type. Pretty neat IMO.

(EDIT: Forgot openblocks adds in the elevators too. Perhaps find something that does same job but with less things no one uses)

Aether I'll have to poke at, but I'm still not sure about the idea of something that makes a ton of dimensions on its own. Kind of like Dimensional Doors would be neat, but hellish on resources after only a few doors are opened.

We added Blood Magic a while back. I kind of liked that, and think another magic mod or two might be cool to even out the Tech/Magic blend and shift things more to the Darkcraft feel.
I'm still going to suggest the mods that I put in the list above. Especially ore spawn and ars magica. Also just going to throw it in there that a new map would be cool for new generated structures, whether the world is reset or if it is just another dimension.

Demeris

Lord of the Pants
the world would be reset. everyone to start fresh. as for ars what Im seeing so far looks nice... prolly add it. but were not gonna get too crazy with the mods this time.

Ore spawn is awesome just because it adds a few more dimensions and a ton of new mobs, dungeons, weapons, armor, items, etc.

Demeris

Lord of the Pants
So first thing is I've been really wanting to actually describe unleashed(which the name might change also) by use of a server lore. I want to center around the idea that this world has been abandoned by an ancient yet advanced civilization ages ago and only some ruins of them remain(to be built on the new map). The players who come here are to help repopulate and rebuild the world thusly bringing back civilization. In the process there is many dangers presented in the form of likely a higher difficulty setting, as well as the adventure aspects of twilight forest and the gravestones mod(which adds catacombs). I'll be expanding on this lore in the next few days and settling on a permanent name for unleashed.

I've noticed Ore Spawn seems to add quite a bit of adventure as well but I worry about how destructive it would be. Take for instance "BlockZilla" who from the pictures seems to be doing significant block damage to someones build. I worry about server side grief as it were that kind of breaks with the concept of rebuilding this abandoned world. Not to mention how laggy are some of these mobs? I'll have to look more into it before I make a final decision on that one.

I've looked over and messed with Ars Magica 2 and I love it. So much in fact I'm replacing blood magic all together with it. Originally I wanted something to compliment blood magic but Ars is so well done its Art and makes Blood Magic look like crap in comparison. Ars Magica 2 will be going into the new unleashed.

I'm going to put these mods up for discussion on possible removal from the pack:
Modular Powersuits
Although its nice to have an all in one suite of armor MPS I almost feel takes alot of challenge out of the game. Once you got a quarry online its stupid easy to get the stuff for, although with the removal of EE3 things like the force field generators and ion thrusters are significantly harder to get. Mekanism offers a nearly invulnerable armor type and mechanical devices that do most of what the MPS stuff does. Just in some cases like the jetpack, slower. Optionally This mod could be nerfed by using harder recipes.

Minefactory Reloaded
I've always been amused by the slaughterhouse block and the 'meat ingot', however This is another mod that seriously takes the challenge out and is also a mucho lag provider. I'll be honest I rarely ever use the harvester because once you get a 9x9 plot of wheat going food is pretty much taken care of. Most people don't even pay attention to their breeder until they got a billion cows around and that's pure lag. The auto spawner although nice just removes any and all challenge in having to get the hard to get resources such as ghast tears and enderpearls. Something that also digs into the difficulty of MPS. The only thing I really super like about this mod is the Deep Storage Unit, which could easily be replaced with a barrels mod that takes up less space, loads in less time, and makes the client less lag inducing for peoples machines.

Big Reactors
In the new pack I've gotten Atomic Science to work which is designed around Universal Electricity which we already have in the pack as a dependency of Mekanism. Atomic science adds upper tier reactors of its own in the form of Fission, Fusion, and Fulmination(antimatter) as well as a huge ass particle collider to make said Antimatter. It's more relevantly an 'end game' power system over top of a big reactor which IMO is kinda easy to make, and just a bit too safe for my tastes. The Fission reactor provided by Atomic Science can of course explode. It makes a small crater in its place with a lava source at the point the reactor was(china syndrome simulation i spose) as well dumps a bunch of radioactive dirt everywhere. Not to mention the uranium requires you have a hazmat suit on to handle it. The fusion reactor can't explode however if for some reason it is breached during operation the plasma blocks inside will start to flow out in all directions and vaporize whatever it touches(as its over 2000c). I'm 50/50 on actually removing this mod cause a big reactor is neat too.

Thermal Expansion
I'm not saying I absolutely want to remove this mod. My thing on it is from a Machine standpoint its kinda moot because Mekanism machines do pretty much everything these machines do and even more with the multi tier ore system. I plan to actually reduce the amount of ore in the world by limiting the number of mods that are generating ores. That is, keep it down to like 2 types of copper and tin so we 1. dont have a flood of ingots and 2. makes it more uniform. That being said the conduit system is significantly cheaper than the mekanism universal cable, and no other mod provides a means of 'teleporting' items,energy, and fluid like the tesseracts do. Do you know of any other mods(other then buildcraft with the extra pipes addon) that has a means to teleport items energy and fluid? If not TE will likely stay.

Statues
Does anyone actually use this besides me? It's a nifty mod but I guess its biggest problem is that it can only produce statues of players. Be nice if you could also make statues of like mobs and stuff. Although decorative this mod seems to be more a novelty.

Demeris

Lord of the Pants
also here is a list of mods removed and added so far.

Removed:
Extra Cells for Applied Energisitics - meh its more of a novelty, not super functional
Minechem - unless it gets fixed to allow the entire chain of machines to have pipes in and out, its bs.
Openblocks - I think people used like, one block out of this? the elevator. The gravestone is nice but gravestones mod does that too.
Blood Magic - replaced with Ars Magica 2, Blood Magic is glitchy and seems just incomplete.
Dimensional Anchors - replaced with Chickenchunks
Equivalent Exchange 3 - No one seemed to use it much and its barely a shadow of the earlier EE mods.
Galacticraft - a lot of compatibility issues with its ores and things as well as the dimensions were just stupid laggy on the server and hard to keep loaded.

Added:
Ars Magica 2
Twilight Forest
Gravestones Mod
Atomic Science
Enhanced Portals
Craft Heraldry